A) Objectives of the pledge:
Since the International Conference of 2007, National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), have continuously increased their response to the humanitarian needs of vulnerable migrants.
In 2011, the 31st International Conference cemented this commitment through the adoption of Resolution 3.
In acknowledging the increasing humanitarian needs of migrants, the ICRC and the IFRC confirm that the commitments made in 2011, with the adoption of Resolution 3, were essential. Four years later, the humanitarian imperatives are even greater and commitments need to be better translated into action to alleviate the suffering of vulnerable migrants along the migration routes.
To that effect, we, the ICRC and the IFRC, pledge to:
- Reinforce efforts towards the implementation of Resolution 3, Migration: Ensuring Access, Dignity, Respect for Diversity and Social Inclusion, adopted by the 31st International Conference of the Red Cross and Red Crescent to address the humanitarian concerns of vulnerable migrants at all points along migration routes;
- Upgrade our response, operationally or otherwise, in a complementary manner and in the long term, in our respective areas of expertise and roles;
- Strengthen our support to all National Societies to better respond to the needs of migrants along migration routes;
- Remind States of their own obligations and commitments to ensure that their national procedures include adequate safeguards to protect the dignity and ensure the safety of all migrants and to grant to migrants, in line with relevant international law and national legislation, appropriate international protection and access to relevant services;
- Promote respect for the principle of Humanity and the rights of migrants in all efforts with regard vulnerable migrants.
B) Action plan:
C) Indicators for measuring progress:
D) Resource implications: