A) Objectives of the pledge:
For the years 2016 – 2019, the Australian Government and Australian Red Cross hereby pledge:
- To work together, when possible, to promote the implementation and enhancement of adequate safeguards to protect the dignity and safety of migrants in the Asia-Pacific region.
- To maintain a dialogue with each other regarding issues of humanitarian concern arising from regular and irregular migration in the Asia-Pacific region.
- To draw the attention of States in the Asia-Pacific region to the advice and expertise of the International Red Cross and Red Cross Movement, as appropriate, when engaging on the development, implementation and enhancement of policies regarding protection measures
B) Action plan:
- Consider opportunities to engage in the Asia-Pacific region on protection with a focus on pragmatic outcomes for vulnerable migrants.
- Consider opportunities to build on existing regional cooperation in relation to protection, including with States, the International Red Cross Red Crescent Movement, regional and non-government organisations and civil society.
- Australian Red Cross to provide the Australian Government with policy briefings based on trends and evidence from the Asia-Pacific Migration Network (APMN).
C) Indicators for measuring progress:
D) Resource implications:
The International Committee of the Red Cross, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, and the Standing Commission of the Red Cross and Red Crescent, in its function as Trustee of the International Conference of the Red Cross and Red Crescent (the Conference), cannot be held responsible or liable in any manner for any user-generated content or posts on this Database. In the event that the Website team considers any post or content to be incompatible with the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and/or with the objectives of the Conference, it reserves the right to remove such content.