The world is facing increasing risks from disasters, fuelled by climate change and exacerbated by rising vulnerability associated with uncontrolled urbanization and growing inequality. Responding to these threats, States have made strong commitments in the Paris Agreement, the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction, and the Sustainable Development Goals to build resilience and strengthen domestic policy and practice in disaster risk management (DRM) and climate change adaptation (CCA).
In the context of the International Conference of the Red Cross and Red Crescent, States have repeatedly invited National Societies to raise their voices to support them in setting the resilience agenda. In 2007, the 30th International Conference adopted joint goals to address the humanitarian dimensions of climate change, including through well-integrated DRM and CCA policies. At every International Conference since 2003, States have called for National Society support in developing strong and effective disaster law and policy.
National Societies have followed through, exercising influence on new disaster laws and regulations in over 25 countries and, more recently, contributing to national adaptation plans and approaches. While taking stock of progress over the last decade, this session will look ahead to how National Societies can better harness their auxiliary role to influence investments, laws, policies and plans to manage disasters, tackle rising climate risks and build more resilient communities.
The session will also provide the opportunity for National Societies to discuss how to further advance implementation of related commitments from the 32nd International Conference, with a focus on strengthening legal and policy frameworks, including implementing lessons from ongoing research on “Gender in Disaster Law and Policy”.
- Resolution 3: Sexual and gender-based violence: Joint action on prevention and response (32IC/15/R3)
- Resolution 6: Strengthening legal frameworks for disaster response, risk reduction and first aid (32IC/15/R6)
- Resolution 1 Annex: Declaration: Together for Humanity (30IC)
- Global report: Effective law and policy on gender equality and protection from sexual and gender-based violence in disasters
- The Disaster Law Programme Operational Plan 2018
- The added value of Red Cross Red Crescent National Societies in the development of National Adaptation Plans